About Us

Church History

Second Baptist Church was organized on December 4, 1890, by a few staunch devout Christians. They had been worshipping from house to house and then later in an old stone building on East Fifth Street. On February 12, 1898 the church group purchased a building, which stood on Main Street, from Mrs. James Phinney and moved it to the lot between Eighth and Ninth Street on Fossill Street. The charter for Second Baptist Church was obtained March 2, 1898. Some of the ministers who guided the little church were Rev. Hickman and Rev. Lee on Nicodemus, Ks.; Rev Banks and Rev. Cox of Salina, Ks.

    Second Baptist Church has faced many problems, one of which was the building of Highway 281 (Fossill Street). This building of the highway took most of the original property. The members appealed to the city for an additional lot. Finally a deed was issued for the east adjacent lot. The church was moved and this time it faced the north.

     Rev. Nelson Sowell and Rev. Samuel McKay were the pastors of the church for many years.  Rev. Sowell passed away on January 17, 1939 and Rev. McKay passed away on March 22, 1951. Bro. Navarre Sowell had acted as leader and business consultant from 1951 until 1983. In 1952, Rev. B.W. Lowe of Emporia, Ks. began his visits once a month. He was the SHD Missionary Pastor. Rev. and Mrs. Lowe continued these trips untiringly and faithfully for twelve years.

       As the membership of Second Baptist Church began to increase, the congregation outgrew the one room building. Plans for expansion were made. In 953, a rural school building was purchased from the Shannon School Board. It was moved into town and joined to the original building which is now the kitchen area. During the next few years the members of the church and friends worked hard to beautify the building. Many friends donated funds and materials, which were greatly appreciated. After several years, it was found that more space was needed for classrooms and a dining area. The little white school building, formerly located at the corner of Fourth and Elm Streets, which had served as a Kindergarten and later as an auxiliary band room, was purchased and added to the church in 1962, which is now the sanctuary. Today, the  church has a comfortable sanctuary, kitchen, and fellowship hall. Activities include Bible Study and Sunday School.

       Second Baptist Church had usually conducted weekly worship service twice monthly and under the leadership of Pastor Bobby L. Golden began services on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sunday's. In 1969, we began a process of services on every Sunday minus the 4th Sundays. Beginning in and since 2010 services have occurred every Sunday. Even though Second Baptist Church of Russell is among the numerically smaller churches in the SHDA and the RAOC, it appears to remain a vital and serving body.

        Rev. Eric C. Malone faithfully served the congregation for nearly 20 years before being called to pastor another district church. On September 22, 2018 Second Baptist Church installed Rev. Ray A. Morris as pastor and is prepared to receive " New Directions in the Lord"